Aidan's Journey

Aidan's journey began on Monday, Dec 3rd 2007 when we received a phone call that came so unexpectedly. After leaving work, we received a panicked phone call from the Kaiser Peds staff saying that at that moment his blood panels had come back from a check up that morning and Aidan was critically anemic. Do not stop for anything-dinner, clothes, nada. Drive directly to the ER and check right in. The blood tests he had taken earlier that day revealed that every part of his blood test-hemoglobin, white and red cells etc were critically low and further tests needed to be done asap. Hours later he was given two units of blood and platelets. The next morning tests confirmed our worst fears. Aidan's blood was full of cancer as he was diagnosed Tuesday night with Leukemia (Acute Myeloid Leukemia).

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

March Madness

Hi everyone, sorry its been so long between posts. Dr. Ruki says some denial can be healthy. A way to survive. So I guess I've had some of that! today is the 11th and Aidan was admitted yesterday after a full afternoon in the clinic. He will be here for the week as long as the treatment is kind to him. He is getting 4 days of HD-Ara c and 4 days of a new drug (for him) called Mitoxanthrone. This round is called Intensification II. For some reason this time the A tivan (anti-anxiety) is making him extra emotional so we are dealing with that, but the good-great news is that his Bone marrow aspiration Friday showed no sign of blasts (cancer cells) which is very good at this point in treatment. It reassures that chemo plan is doing what it's supposed to do. Dr says he looks good and his ANC was 2.0 which is great. This means that he is not Neutropenic right now and can cat regular food while in the hospital. He was Not happy about being admitted and didn't really think he needed to go because he really feels like he's " Done with the cancer." too cute. of course i have to have a good private cry after he talks like that.if only it were that simple. He doesn't understand why they can't just give him a shot and be done with it. I wish!

Dad is out here in Cali right now awaiting the birth of his second baby boy his expecting with his longtime girlfriend, Betty. Apparently, this baby is taking after his brother, Aidan because he is taking his own sweet time coming out. of course Lucho is also out here for Aidan so he is dividing his visit between waiting for contractions and waiting for chemo. poor guy-l'm not sure how he is keeping his head on straight.


So, we had a few good weeks home waiting for counts to go up and we are half way thru this. I will let you know how he takes the new medicine. He looked a little flushed when he stood up for bathing so we'll see what happens. I have lots of help this week for breaks so l am very grateful for this visit and friends. the Lord is watching over us and i know that He is protecting Aidan through this. There can Always be worse.

Blessings to all those who have sent cards and gifts in the mail. I apologize if I cannot thank each one of you personally but know that your gestures are greatly appreciated and i am truly humbled by the love and rapport of so many. Thank you. Aimee

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Aidan and Aimee,
Thank you so much for the updates.
I am thinking of you everyday and
it is so nice to see and read your posts.Aidan, you are going to be
a " Big Brother " how cool! What are you building with Legos? I hope
this round of treatments go smoothly. You are a CHAMP!!!!!!!
Hugs, Sedra

Anonymous said...

Hello from Nana Susan,
Dear Brave Boy and Incredible Mom/Daughter,
Thinking of you every nano-second 24/7. Can't wait till April 18th when I get to cover you with kisses. I know, not Aidan's favorite --- Nana kissing attack!
Love, Nana

Unknown said...

Hi Aidan and Aimee! Aimee, I met you last year when you came to visit your Aunt Lucille at Tesoro (where I was working at the time). I recently went back to see Lucille, and during our brief visit she told me about Aidan. I am so sorry, and I know how difficult this time must be for both of you. I bought a "Candle for Aidan" - it should be arriving soon and I'm very excited! Now I have a fun story for you ... I'm no longer working with Lucille, but am instead subbing (still as an IF) for the district. I got a call last week and accepted an assignment for this week ... at RH DANA ... Pre-School ... Valery's class ... and although I had no idea when I took the assignment, I was told while I was there today that I was subbing for YOU! The world just seems to get smaller and smaller all the time, doesn't it? Anyway, I am so happy to know that I could fill in for you during this time - thank you for the privilege. Take care of yourself and Aidan, and know that you both are in my family's thoughts and prayers.

Warmest Regards,
Dea Ogata

Unknown said...

I almost forgot - Aimee, you ought to check out www.caringbridge.org and post Aidan's story there too!