Aidan's Journey

Aidan's journey began on Monday, Dec 3rd 2007 when we received a phone call that came so unexpectedly. After leaving work, we received a panicked phone call from the Kaiser Peds staff saying that at that moment his blood panels had come back from a check up that morning and Aidan was critically anemic. Do not stop for anything-dinner, clothes, nada. Drive directly to the ER and check right in. The blood tests he had taken earlier that day revealed that every part of his blood test-hemoglobin, white and red cells etc were critically low and further tests needed to be done asap. Hours later he was given two units of blood and platelets. The next morning tests confirmed our worst fears. Aidan's blood was full of cancer as he was diagnosed Tuesday night with Leukemia (Acute Myeloid Leukemia).

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Aidan's LAST Treatment

Hi everyone,

Catch up time, I know. Well we've had a very exciting week. Mom was lucky enough to get VERY sick. Last Friday night at the hospital I started to feel a bit stuffy. By Saturday morning, I was sick. Major disaster. I can't even describe the feeling of having to leave Aidan in the hospital and go be sick away from him. Bridgett and the kids were there and my mom was down the street at Grandma Adele's finishing up her being sick. Tito drove me over there and I collapsed on the couch and can honestly say I have NEVER been this sick in my life. Today is Thursday and I am finally feeling better. Bridgett and Dana have both helped care for Aidan all week as I was quarantined to my room. Thank you Bridgett for taking a week off from being you so you could be me-wanna trade? Probably not! Thank you Dana for filling in the gaps between Tito and Bridgett and Janell for the 2 delicious meals-major props for cooking!

So now he will start his final four bags of chemo and his shot. and done. Of course Aidan has a mile long list of what he's going to do with his life but catching up to his peers for 3rd grade will be what we are going to work on most. Back to Aikido and swimming are his choice of sports and major trips around the world-I believe Paris and London-were included on the list. Too funny!

Tomorrow I will go to the hospital to be with Aidan. Evan I will be sure to mention the boat to Aidan-I am SURE he will want to join you as soon as he can! Thank you for the invitation-please have your mom contact me at freundac@yahoo.com so we can exchange numbers. Denise, Gillian and Logan, thank you for always leaving messages for Aidan-I read them to him and it makes him smile. He always talks about Aikido with you guys and would love to see you when he can. Please use my email as well. In fact if there's anyone who would like to contact me personally-use that email address.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nana Report:
So happy to be here with my sweethearts finally. Last week being sick on top of Aimee being sick was the longest week ever!
I just love being with you all -- Aimee, Aidan and Tito at your comfy house. And Aidan, you power us all up with your steadfast good nature, calm, loving spirit. (Hmmm, wonder where you got that from--could it be your Mama????!!!!)
Love and kisses,
Nana

Anonymous said...

Hi Aidan
remember me? It's Luke from the Ninja's soccer team?? Hope you are getting better. Just wanted to say "Hello" and let you know I was thinking about you.
Luke

Anonymous said...

We hope you will be back to RH Dana soon! We're still recycling and having bake sales to raise money for you and your family!
Love,
Mrs. Walker and the RH Dana Staff

Anonymous said...

HELLO AIDAN--I AM A GOOD FRIEND OF DANA ORTIZ---YOU ARE SUCH A BRAVE AND LOVING YOUNG MAN--I WISH THE VERY BEST FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.STAY STRONG! OUR LOVE AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU.
SUSAN ROBINSON