Aidan's Journey

Aidan's journey began on Monday, Dec 3rd 2007 when we received a phone call that came so unexpectedly. After leaving work, we received a panicked phone call from the Kaiser Peds staff saying that at that moment his blood panels had come back from a check up that morning and Aidan was critically anemic. Do not stop for anything-dinner, clothes, nada. Drive directly to the ER and check right in. The blood tests he had taken earlier that day revealed that every part of his blood test-hemoglobin, white and red cells etc were critically low and further tests needed to be done asap. Hours later he was given two units of blood and platelets. The next morning tests confirmed our worst fears. Aidan's blood was full of cancer as he was diagnosed Tuesday night with Leukemia (Acute Myeloid Leukemia).

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Don't feel like talking about cancer today

I'm tired and don't feel like talking about cancer so I wrote Aidan a story:

The Crow

There's a crow who lives in the tree next to our house. Dana Crow. He comes and goes but I see him daily. He feels somewhat like a pet because his dwelling is part of ours. Some days he hops around on the ground in search of food, his black shiny feathers reflecting morning sun. Crow Business. Other days he has some unknown particle in his sharp beak and he hides it in his tree, saving it for future use. Crow Bank. I read once that crows were extremely territorial and smart. He seems to be both. When we came home Saturday, there was a tiny mutilated baby bird head on the stairs leading to our front door. Crow Dominance. Trash days are his favorite. He and his buddies travel the cans, pillaging the stuffed and overflowing ones for anything they can find. Crow entertainment. By the time the truck comes to purge the smelly cans of their waste, the crow party has littered the streets, pieces of plastic trash bags, paper cups, empty egg cartons and the such. Crow tracks. I remember when Aidan was in Kindergarten, the children were required to bring their lunches not in paper sacks but hard lunch boxes because the crows were notorious for silently pecking through to the glorious treasures of peanut butter and jelly and Doritos not in their original foil but lovingly packed by a five year old mother's loving hands in a baggie to save money and unnecessary calories. Crow Snack. Last year I waited for Aidan after school in my car near some trees in the parking lot. The crows conversed loudly each and every day. Their different calls and cahoots meant something important to crows, the language I do not know.They usually sounded bossy. Crow talk. When I die, I wand to come back as a Crow. Crow reincarnation.

Yes I have WAYY to much time on my hands!



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Aidan,

This is Evan from your soccer team. I am really sorry that you are sick. My family and I hope you get better very soon. We would love for you to come out for a ride on our boat (30 foot motor boat) as soon as you can. We have it docked in Dana Point until June. You can bring your family too. Please let me know if you can come out on the boat.

Your friend,
Evan

Anonymous said...

Hi Aidan and Aimee. We loved the Crow story!! We are continuing to pray for you Aidan. Logan and Jillian have asked their kid's groups at church to pray for you as well. Sending you both big hugs!!! Love, The Doss Family (Rob, Denise, Logan and Jillian)

Anonymous said...

Hi Aidan and Aimee,
I love the crow story!!! It is
good to slow down and watch nature.
I do it most days myself in my garden.Hummingbirds are my favorite.
I dont like the grasshoppers.Yucky!
I planted some veggies this year.
I wish they would grow faster.
Hugs, Sedra

Anonymous said...

Nana Alert!
Hooray. I am so happy to be in California. But I guess I have a little cold and can't see Aidan and smother him with Nana kisses yet.
Just wait and in a few days I will be at it!
Aimee, you should write children's literature. That story is adorable and I could picture the crows and looked forward to their next spree.
Love, Nana/Momma Susan

Anonymous said...

Hey Grandson and daughter.
I'm here alone in Greenville SC because Nana has left me and gone to California. I spoke to her this morning and she is sick - physically, with a bad cold, and mentally-cause she can't be with you yet after traveling 2500 miles. But, I'm sure she'll be OK by Wednesday. Luckily she planned the trip for 3 weeks and that gives her enough time.
I guess you're home now, and resting up for the LAST !!! series of nasty ole Chemo. I can't wait...I know you can't either. But, let's all pray that this is the end. I still can't believe all you and your Mom and Dad and Tito have gone thru since December. Let this end..!!
My hope is that you can call your friend Evan, and hitch a ride with him and his family on that 30' motor boat before June. That would be a treat.
Love ya...and will always be
your Papa

The Raica Family said...

Aimee,
I have to agress with Nana that you should write children's literature. I could not wait to read what the next crow adventure was going to be. You and Aidan would make a great team. He could draw the pictures of Crow Talk, Crow Food, Crow Entertainment......
I can see it now.
Who knew you had such talent...what else are you hiding?
Love,
Janell