Aidan's Journey

Aidan's journey began on Monday, Dec 3rd 2007 when we received a phone call that came so unexpectedly. After leaving work, we received a panicked phone call from the Kaiser Peds staff saying that at that moment his blood panels had come back from a check up that morning and Aidan was critically anemic. Do not stop for anything-dinner, clothes, nada. Drive directly to the ER and check right in. The blood tests he had taken earlier that day revealed that every part of his blood test-hemoglobin, white and red cells etc were critically low and further tests needed to be done asap. Hours later he was given two units of blood and platelets. The next morning tests confirmed our worst fears. Aidan's blood was full of cancer as he was diagnosed Tuesday night with Leukemia (Acute Myeloid Leukemia).

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

February Flies By

Can't hardly believe that February has come and past. Time flies when you're having fun! Aidan was released Saturday afternoon on his own recognizance so we flew the coop. Sunday was hard but a good long visit from our friends perked him up tremendously. Today, Wed., he is like a new boy. The peaked face has some color and his appetite is back in full force. The three lbs lost have been regained and I know he feels better. He thinks I'm crazy asking him how he feels every 30 minutes or so but I can't help it.

I told him we need to have degrees of not feeling good so I can judge: "I'm bored" is the best you can get, "Good" is great, "I'm ok" means I'm probably going to have to lay down for a few minutes, "I don't feel good" probably means he has to go to the bathroom or eat something, and don't freak out but I told him if he REALLY and TRULY doesn't feel well he can say, "I feel like shit." He was utterly appalled when I said he should use such language to tell me how he feels. My argument is that he of any person I know has earned the right to use it and no one would be offended if it was necessary. I would say cancer earns the right to a few choice words no matter how old you are. He completely disagrees and knows I am going to Hell for sure.

Tomorrow, Thurs we will be back at clinic for blood draw. Hopefully more Neutraphils have appeared, he had none on Sat. and a few on Monday. Once again we are waiting for his total neutraphil count to be
1.0 (1000 cells per microliter) total his Chemo starts again.


Aidan had his first teaching lesson with Mr. Beyer (his actual 3rd grade teacher). He came to the house and they studied together for a few hours. Aidan was beaming afterwards. It was a boost he really needed. It was fun and he LOVES Mr. Beyer.


So, we are happy for the few days we have here at home and are thankful for every good day we have. We are also thankful for our wonderful family and friends who love and support us every day in some way.


Hope you enjoy the pictures.

love aimee

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aidan!
I'm sooooooooooooo jealous of your bed! I want to come over and jump on it with you! Oh.. by the way. I read in your blog that your mom said it was ok to say "I feel like shit"! Naughty mom!! But I have to tell you that when Papa Shaheen was in the hospital a long time ago there was an earthquake! We went to see him- your cousins Peter, Patrick and Robert and myself. When we asked him how he did in the earthquake he said "It was bitchen'!". We all thought Papa would go to hell for that but I don't think that's where he is right now! :)

Where do you get those cool candles? I love the pictures of Valentine's Day. Did your mom get Tito a watch? What a nice mommy.
You are sooooooooooooo lucky!
Love you and miss you!
Auntie Sissy