Aidan's Journey

Aidan's journey began on Monday, Dec 3rd 2007 when we received a phone call that came so unexpectedly. After leaving work, we received a panicked phone call from the Kaiser Peds staff saying that at that moment his blood panels had come back from a check up that morning and Aidan was critically anemic. Do not stop for anything-dinner, clothes, nada. Drive directly to the ER and check right in. The blood tests he had taken earlier that day revealed that every part of his blood test-hemoglobin, white and red cells etc were critically low and further tests needed to be done asap. Hours later he was given two units of blood and platelets. The next morning tests confirmed our worst fears. Aidan's blood was full of cancer as he was diagnosed Tuesday night with Leukemia (Acute Myeloid Leukemia).

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Just Waiting

We went to the clinic yesterday and hung out for a while. We thought we would be checking in to the hospital but Aidan's overall neutriphil count is still too low to begin chemo. He needs to be at 1000 and was at 647. Dr. Ruki went ahead and did his second Bone Marrow Aspiration and Aidan did much better than the first time. It seemed to go much smoother in the clinic versus the hospital for some reason. Probably because the clinic nurses do it all the time and are very calm. Aidan listened to music thru his headphones vs. me singing to him(less stressful for mom) to keep him relaxed so the Ketamine could do it's magic. He is so funny when he comes off of the drugs. This time he kept asking for the Dr. to stay in the room with him cause he needed company. The nurse had never heard him talk so much so we had a good laugh at the funny things he was saying. Needless to say, we were happy to come home for a few more days even if its just prolonging the inevitable. I did unpack the car (the worst part of returning home!!!) and the food(Aidan hates the hospital food). I guess this is the roulette all chemo patients play, the blood numbers game. It is very confusing and frustrating to think that he is so way below the low numbers but looks and feels so good. He is a mighty warrior. Whenever I feel like I won't be able to do or handle any of this, I look at him with his easy going strength and bravery and I feel the Lord moving through him to hold me up.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aidan, This is from your cousins in Atlanta-( Gil and Carol Rossie). We have been reading your blog weekly and glad you had a good Christmas. As you begin your second round of treatments,please know we are thinking about you and praying for you.Say hello to your family for us.

Anonymous said...

Aidan, my name is Chris Gernazian and i am 13 years old. My grandmother is Teresa Gernazian.She and I and all of my family are praying for you.Your lego project sounds great.
Wishing you the best. :)

The Raica Family said...

Amiee,
I loved your entry. Our kids teach us so much don't they! Aidan is a mighty warrior and he gets his strength from you. You are a mighty warrior in my eyes! I think your strength and courage is amazing. We love you guys!
The Raica Family

Anonymous said...

Aidan, My name is Mac McGarity and I do business with your Grand Pa Paul sometimes. I hope to speak with him later today. I am 58 years old and live in Charlotte, North Carolina with my wife Susan. I am an engineer and Susan teaches middle school math. We read your blog and both think you are a tremendiously brave 3rd grader. Do what your mom and the doctors tell you. It's people like you that face adversity and keep on battling that are real heros. Believe it !!! That's the truth.