Aidan's Journey

Aidan's journey began on Monday, Dec 3rd 2007 when we received a phone call that came so unexpectedly. After leaving work, we received a panicked phone call from the Kaiser Peds staff saying that at that moment his blood panels had come back from a check up that morning and Aidan was critically anemic. Do not stop for anything-dinner, clothes, nada. Drive directly to the ER and check right in. The blood tests he had taken earlier that day revealed that every part of his blood test-hemoglobin, white and red cells etc were critically low and further tests needed to be done asap. Hours later he was given two units of blood and platelets. The next morning tests confirmed our worst fears. Aidan's blood was full of cancer as he was diagnosed Tuesday night with Leukemia (Acute Myeloid Leukemia).

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Sprung Free!!!




So sorry I haven't updated lately but getting wireless access in Aidan's room has been quite a challenge. The good news is that we are HOME again-Hallelujah! Aidan took this treatment a little harder, experiencing a terrible, itchy rash all over his abdomen and chest as well as fever and a little anxiety episode related to so much Benadryl for the rash but overall is still doing good. Apparently, they kept him longer in the hospital the first time because there are so many serious side effects that can happen and they won't take any chances until blood counts are up. This time they finished his last injection-AraC pushed like a shot thru his IV and they discharged us. We are so happy to be back home again so mom can brush her teeth and get dressed in private!!!! Oh yeah and so Aidan can be more comfortable-of course...He has started the terrible stomach pain and bathrooming every 30 minutes or so but at least we don't have to drag an IV pole with us just to get on the toilet!!! I was really worried about that because our room was so small but the the bathroom was in a very awkward part of the room around a wall corner-it was a challenge just to go every couple of hours never mind every 20 minutes-so we are thankful.

Before we left the hospital, I stopped in to see Dr. Rukki in the clinic so she could sign Aidan's release for for schooling at home. He will officially miss the rest of third grade. I am so sad about this because he happened to get the neatest teacher this year, Mr. Beyer and they are learning so many great things. I will do my best to help Aidan stay on top of things but I already know its gonna be WAR. We are so close and have such a great relationship except in this one small area of our lives, HOMEWORK. UUUGGHHH I am dreading it already. If anyone has any good ideas to keep the peace between us-let me know-I am very open to any and all suggestions. He will get a teacher 5 hours per week for tutoring and I am going to look into a private tutor also but this does not in any way replace the third grade experience.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Aimee & Aidan ... We are so happy to hear that you are home and done with the 2nd round. Aidan, we are continuing to pray that you are feeling better really soon. Sending you big hugs and high fives!!! Love & Blessings - Denise, Rob, Logan & Jillian Doss

Anonymous said...

To Aidan: Keep fighting and get better soon. We miss having you in class. I want to come see you some time soon. To Aimee: Besides teaching Aikido, I have a just received a Bachelor's degree in English education from Cal State Long Beach and have been accepted in to the credentialing program. I can help you with the homework issues and probably more. Is the school district going to provide a tutor? We have families at the dojo that do home school for their children, but I do not know how it is set up. Please let me know how I can help. Joel Collins Sensei. You are in our thoughts everyday.

Anonymous said...

Hi Aimee & Aidan...We're so happy that you are home now and 2nd round is complete. I check this blog everyday and was excited to see the latest news. There's definitely no place like home.

We're thinking of you two and love you.
Love, Gabe & Tony

Sedra said...

Hello Aidan and Aimee,
I went to the hospital Wednesday
night to see you and they said you
went home. ** Y E A H **
Aidan, now you can play with all
your cool Christmas gifts!
I hope you are feeling better and
stronger each day.I am keeping you
both in my thoughts and prayers.
Hugs, Sedra

Anonymous said...

Hi Aidan,
I know that you can get through tis 3rd. grade stuff. Try and look at studying as an adventure with mom! Make it fun! I just know that if you can get through being at a hopital all day for many days, you can get through school too! I have a cold again so I can't see you. I keep getting the cooties from all of Graces friends at church...Ha-choo!

Love ya,

Audrey

Anonymous said...

Hi Aidan,
I check your blog several times a week so that I can be sure to pray for exactly what you need. I am so happy to hear that you are home! You are such a brave and tough dude. I would be happy to offer your mom any help and advice with getting you through your homework. I loved being your second grade teacher and I know that getting through your third grade material will be a piece of cake for you! I would love to come and visit when you are feeling up to it. I am not teaching anymore because I became a mommy in September, so I have a very flexible schedule and can visit whenever it works best for you. Keep fighting hard and rest up.
Love,
Mrs. Lauder

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi Aidan and Aimee,what a great knews! Im super happy for both of you. We hope to see you some day ,Louis and Miles will like to see you.
Love,Mrs Laura

*many thanks for Bryson'mom for letting us know about Aidan.

Anonymous said...

Aidan:

I have a good joke to tell you. It goes like this.

I told your grandpa Paul that I wanted to come to work for him. He told me that the place is filling up fast, and they've been administering an entrance examination for everyone. “The test is short, but you’d have to pass it before you can get on with them."
“Mac” he said, “The test is only two questions.

”First: What two days of the week begin with the letter T? Second: How many seconds are there in a year?”

I thought for a minute and then he said "Now that you have had a chance to think the questions over, tell me your answers."

I said, "Well, the first one -- which two days in the week begin with the letter "T"? Shucks, that one's easy. That would be Today and Tomorrow.” I know I was right, but your grandpa didn’t look too pleased. But he said “I'll give you credit for that answer. How about the next one, “How many seconds in a year?"

"Now that one's harder," I said, "but I guess the only answer can be twelve."

Astounded, Grandapa Paul said, "Twelve? Twelve!? Mac, how on earth could you come up with twelve seconds in a year?"

I said, "Shucks, there's gotta be twelve: January 2nd, February 2nd, March 2nd...."

Now I’m pretty sure that I answered both questions right, but I still didn’t get the job.

You have a good day bud. I’ll write again soon.

Mac McGarity