Aidan's Journey

Aidan's journey began on Monday, Dec 3rd 2007 when we received a phone call that came so unexpectedly. After leaving work, we received a panicked phone call from the Kaiser Peds staff saying that at that moment his blood panels had come back from a check up that morning and Aidan was critically anemic. Do not stop for anything-dinner, clothes, nada. Drive directly to the ER and check right in. The blood tests he had taken earlier that day revealed that every part of his blood test-hemoglobin, white and red cells etc were critically low and further tests needed to be done asap. Hours later he was given two units of blood and platelets. The next morning tests confirmed our worst fears. Aidan's blood was full of cancer as he was diagnosed Tuesday night with Leukemia (Acute Myeloid Leukemia).

Thursday, January 10, 2008

ROUND TWO

Hi all,

We are back in the hospital. We checked in Monday, Jan 7 after waiting all day in the clinic for a hospital room. Apparently there was more illness over the weekend than one hospital could handle and to say it was a zoo would be an understatement. We finally got a room by 6:30 pm and settled in. They started Aidan's chemo around 10pm-kind of sucks because when it starts that late it automatically tacks on another day of staying here. Oh well.

Tuesday we changed rooms two times. I'm not sure why, something to do with other kids needing the certain monitors, so we are in room 401 and I'm sure we'll be stuck here because it's the smallest room on the floor and it has no monitors. The good news is that it has a great bathroom! What a trade...

Tuesday night after Aidan's full day of chemo he started feeling ill. He started with chills and then spiked a fever. He stayed at 101 for all of Tuesday night and Wednesday night went up to 102. YUCKKK. He really didn't move too much Wed. Totally out of it, nauseated and lethargic and freezing cold. We couldn't put the warmer blankets on him because we were trying to cool him down so he was basically miserable. Today, Thursday his fever broke around 10 am and he soon took up where he stopped last time he was here---back on the portable Nintendo game cube. Guess he is feeling better. Mom, nana and the lovely nurses are not allowed to ask him too many mothering, annoying questions like, "Are you hungry?" or "Do you need to go to the bathroom?" Poor guy, not only does he not feel good but he has all these women hovering. Even the Dr. is a woman!!!! Mom was kind of out of it this morning, good thing I stocked up on extra SLEEP while we were home cause there is no such thing as it around here lately. Because of the fever, the nurse took his temp every 30 min and then Aidan had to use the restroom in between. I catch twenty minutes at a time where I can-just like having a newborn all over again!!

Thank goodness for Nana Susan's daily visits. I actually took myself to the gym twice this week to work out all the back cramps from the so called pull out bed and get my circulation going. It's a great stress reliever and Nana gets some quality time with Aidan. It must be so fun watching him play video games for hours! Haha. Welcome to the world of a 9 year old. He also perked up when I suggested the idea of his buddies coming to visit for a little bit tonight, so they are on their way as I type. I'm sure some good friend time will get him through a couple more days.

Thank you to everyone who sent us cute cards and special gifts in cards. Aidan was thrilled with them all. You are all too generous.

Please keep praying for Aidan, the last round was so great and I know its due not only to Aidan's tenacity but also to the power of prayers. This time seems like its already wearing on his body and he has 5 more days to go of treatment. I know he can do it but its hard to watch him go through this. His spirits seem good but he does have terrible moments when he questions why? What would you tell him? I tell him that we are soldiers and we are fighting a war and we are going to WIN. The "D" word is not allowed. Not on my watch. This is only temporary(thank you Jamie) and we have to tough it out to get him better. He can do it...

8 comments:

The Raica Family said...

Thank you Aimee for the update. I hear those "beds" for MOM's and Dad's are super comfortable. I know Ken enjoyed his stint on one when our kids were born. You might be better off on the floor : )Well,know that you guys are in our prayers. Hang in there!! I can't even imagine how hard this must be. I am glad you have family and friends to support you through this difficult time. We will send Aidan a letter (and some coloring pages) to hopefully bring a smile to that cute little face of his.
Love,
The Raica Family

Sedra said...

Hello, Aidan, Aimee and family.
I am thinking of you all and praying for you.Aidan you look
so brave and handsome in your photos!Just like a little warrior! Aimee, I live near the hospital.
Please call me if you need anything, even just a cup of coffee!
Hugs, Sedra

Anonymous said...

God bless, and our prayers continue. Thanks for the update. The dojo is putting that promotion and some other things together and we will be in contact next week. It was nice to see some of the kids from the class writing to Aidan. To Aidan, keep up the good fight, Osu. Matt, Joel, Randy Senseis, and the whole dojo.

Sharon Miracle said...

Hi Aidan,

I work with your Papa in South Carolina. He's a very cool guy and is fun to work with (he tells a lot of jokes).

I'm 42 (old...), and I have two daughters. One is two years old and the other one is almost four months old. Their names are Dana and Justine. I also have four cats, named Lily, Magill, Cinder-Spot, and Riley.

I'm glad that you're a smart kid and root for the right baseball team--the Yankees are the best. I'm from New York City--can you tell?

Do you like the show "Are you smarter than a fifth grader?" I like that show, but sometimes I'm not as smart as a fifth grader. Some of those questions are really hard! I really wanted a Nintendo DS for Christmas, so I could play the "Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader?" game, but I didn't get it. Oh, well. When you're my age, all you get for Christmas are boring things like clothes. At least I got the "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" DVD. I love Harry Potter and have read all the books about a million times.

I hope that you feel better soon and can come and visit your Nana and Papa in South Carolina, so we can meet you in person.

Take care,
Sharon Miracle <--this is my real name)

Anonymous said...

Hi Aidan,guess who I am? I have two boys. You went to the same school 4 years ago as they did..Even when you and my youngest one were in the same classroom my oldest one used to come after his school , bring his YMCA T-shirts and let you guys were them so he could pretend be your couch. You all looked really cute. I remember when your mom told me one time "have you seem them? they all have black hair."XOXOXo

myrna said...

HI Aidan,

This blog is great! We get to visit anytime and follow up with you.

I know you are going trhu your treatment right now, but I would like to come by and visit with you, your mom and wonderful Nana.

Nana is my favorite person, we have been friends for about 16 years. And yes, I've seen you thru the years since you were born. So I would like you to know, that we are rooting for you. Stay positive and strong as you've been. I love seeing your support team is quite big, you sure are very popular!

We will see you soon. All our love,

Myrna DiVerde and family.

Darlene said...

Hi Aidan,
You don't know me, but I want you to know that I have been praying for you and your family everyday.
My little girl has spent so many nights in the hospital. She has cystic fibrosis. She was diognosed with it when she was 2 months old. I know how hard it can be to spend a lot of time in the hospital. She strong just like you! Now she is 21 years old.
Trust in God, He will never leave you or forsake you. I will keep praying for you everyday and your Mom and Dad too!
I hope you are feeling better very soon!

Anonymous said...

Hello Aidan, Amy and Susan,
The Garcia family is praying for you and sending you many good wishes for good days. Hope you got our package, if not, it should arrive soon.
I'm sorry to hear you won't finish your 3rd grade year at school. But you've got to get better quick, so you can join your friends again in fourth grade. My son Josh is in third grade. Of all my kiddos, he remembers to pray for you most often. Take care, and keep fighting the good fight.

Hugs and Kisses to you all.
All our Love,
Melissa, Oscar, Alyssa, Gabi, Josh and Connor.