Aidan's Journey

Aidan's journey began on Monday, Dec 3rd 2007 when we received a phone call that came so unexpectedly. After leaving work, we received a panicked phone call from the Kaiser Peds staff saying that at that moment his blood panels had come back from a check up that morning and Aidan was critically anemic. Do not stop for anything-dinner, clothes, nada. Drive directly to the ER and check right in. The blood tests he had taken earlier that day revealed that every part of his blood test-hemoglobin, white and red cells etc were critically low and further tests needed to be done asap. Hours later he was given two units of blood and platelets. The next morning tests confirmed our worst fears. Aidan's blood was full of cancer as he was diagnosed Tuesday night with Leukemia (Acute Myeloid Leukemia).

Friday, December 21, 2007

Home Sweet Home!

Hello All,

Today feels really good because we got to sleep in our own beds for the first time in 18 days. Aidan was released on a short pass so we could come home for Christmas. Since We got home on my 37th birthday-you can only imagine what a special day it was. Mom bought us Chronic Tacos (the worlds best dana point tacos) and Tito brought a 31 flavers ice cream cake-just like when I was little. Our dear friend Puja brought us some amazing presents from my preschool class at RhDana ENF and Dad says he has a suitcase full for Aidan from his job, Vought Aircraft Industries-we can feel your South Carolina warmth and love from across the USA!!!!

A special thank you to those angels whom we have never met but care so much. You are extra precious to us...

A home nurse came at 10 am this morning to take blood and help mom flush Aidan's catheder lines. For those of you who don't know-Aidan has a double lumen Hickman catheder directly in his Jugular. This has eased his pain tremendously because he never has to be stuck with needles or have another IV. He is now BIONIC.
Aidan's favorite thing about being home today is watching all his favorite tv shows we've been missing. He also played with all the toys given to him at the hospital!!! He is feeling good and very happy right now.

We may have to go back for a blood transfusion sometime this weekend and back to the hospital for round 2 on Dec 31...
Love you all.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord! It will be a very special Christmas. We love you and are praying for you all. Our best Holiday Wishes from Northern Virginia. The Garcia Family, Oscar, Melissa, Alyssa, Gabi, Joshua and Connor.

myrna said...

So glad to hear you get to spend the Holidays at home. What a blessing!

We keep praying for all of you and wish you the best this time can bring.

All our love,

Anonymous said...

We received the letter from your grandparents on our doorstep the other morning, and you have been in our thoughts and prayers ever since.
We hope you get better soon!
We will watch out for your grandparents house until they get home.
Love
Michael and Megan Stathakis

Colleen Myers said...

Hi Aidan!
I just got an email from a friend that linked me to your blog. I am so proud of your courage and positive attitude. You have always been such a sweet and positive young man with a stellar attitude. I love your smile! I am praying for you, and I know that you are going to enjoy many more fun Christmases in the future.
Merry Christmas!
Love,
Mrs. Myers (Las Flores Elementary School - 2nd grade)

Anonymous said...

Dear Aidan,
Merry Christmas! Mrs. Myers just forwarded your blog site to me and I was so sad to hear that you are sick. I wanted to let you know that I will be praying for you often as you fight the sickness in your body. One thing I know about you for sure is that you will fight hard and not give up. I can picture you sitting at your desk in our classroom last year with a determined look on your face. You always gave all of your school work your best effort and never gave up, no matter how hard it was. I can only imagine that you will be the same way fighting your illness. You are such a special boy, Aidan! As a teacher I am not supposed to have any favorite students, but I will admit that you relly touched my heart. You are such a kind, friendly, unselfish boy. It would warm my heart to see the way you interacted with your classmates because you were always a good friend! I live in Laguna Niguel, which is just down the street from Dana Point so if you or your mommy need anything, please let me know! I am leaving you my e-mail so that if you need me for any reason you can get a hold of me. I will definitely plan on visiting you soon. Have a very Merry Christmas at home with your family.
Lots of love and hugs,
Mrs. Lauder
bmlauder@capousd.org

Anonymous said...

Hang in there little guy. You are in our prayers. Don't forget to leave milk and tamales for Santa to eat on Christmas Eve. Have a Merry Christmas. From all the Jimenez Family. Joey, Heather, Quillan, and Aislinn.(Joe Mason's Nephew from Gilroy.
P.S. Ask your pops about hunting deer with a s-10 pickup.!
jimenezfam2005@sbcglobal.net

Anonymous said...

Aidan,

I want to wish you a VERY Merry Christmas. Even though we didn't get to see you (this was a first) we miss you sooooo much!!!! You are ALWAYS in our thoughts and prayers. Corey said that he would trade all of his Christmas gifts to spend a day with you. He was really sad that Bryson got sick and we couldn't see you.
All the kids in your primary class miss you very much too. We miss having you here with us---playing pranks and laughing with your brothas. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas at home. I can't wait to see a picture of your HUGE Christmas tree.

We love you Aidan so very much!! We can't wait to see your smiling face soon. I hope you know how much we think (and talk) about you.

Love, Bridgett, Corey & Bryson

Anonymous said...

Hi Aidan, I was just thinking about you right now so I thought I would say HEY! Grace has a cold so as soon as she is better,I will come by and see you! Give mommy and Tito a kiss and hug for me! We love you! Love, Audrey, Grace and Darren

OH yeah, Your candle has arrived!! I will be bringing you one soon! It is very cool!

Anonymous said...

Dear Aidan,
You do not know me but I am a friend of your Nana's. We have been together in Arbonne many years. I check on your progress each day. A few years ago my grown son was hurt very badly from an accident and I spent many days and nights in the hospital with him. I also was very sick from treatment I received before I got well. You are given the best care to get you well while you are there. Most of all, we are recipients of God's power of healing through prayer. There is nothing too great for God. Know that I and my family are praying and believing that your body will be restored to normal so that you can enjoy everything a boy loves. There will be days that you won't feel so good, but that is part of the process of healing. Just know those icky days won't be forever.
We look forward to good reports from you, my brave boy.
Love and prayers,
Sue Bush and family