Aidan's Journey

Aidan's journey began on Monday, Dec 3rd 2007 when we received a phone call that came so unexpectedly. After leaving work, we received a panicked phone call from the Kaiser Peds staff saying that at that moment his blood panels had come back from a check up that morning and Aidan was critically anemic. Do not stop for anything-dinner, clothes, nada. Drive directly to the ER and check right in. The blood tests he had taken earlier that day revealed that every part of his blood test-hemoglobin, white and red cells etc were critically low and further tests needed to be done asap. Hours later he was given two units of blood and platelets. The next morning tests confirmed our worst fears. Aidan's blood was full of cancer as he was diagnosed Tuesday night with Leukemia (Acute Myeloid Leukemia).

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Tuesday, Dec 4th 2007

This morning was the beginning of all the tests. Aidan first underwent anesthesia for his bone marrow extraction. This was a test the confirmed that he does have Leukemia. As hard as this process is - of course, Aidan's humor rose to the occasion. As he came out of the cloud he said things like: "Am I drunk or am I high?", "Mom, I haven't seen your face in such a long time........it's so nice", "Bridgett and Dana thanks for the comfort", "I'm feeling normal......I am normal.....". He was asking everyone for hugs. Then out of the blue he sat up and pulled a Jim Carey move. Family and Friends came through out the day (and brought WAY to much food). Thanks Uncle Butch for using your expertise to wade through all the information.

This evening we received the prognosis we had not wished for. Aidan has Acute Myeloid Leukemia. After discussing the prognosis and the action plan - thankfully Luch (DAD) arrived from South Carolina.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi guys - we are testing the comment section of this blog.
Testing 1, 2, 3....testing...

Anonymous said...

hey Aidan, we wanna wish you a speedy recovery and just to let you know that we are always thinking about ya'll, Diego always asks about you and wants you to come boat ridding again soon, after the winter of course, is pretty cold right now, BRRRRR!!!

Galo, Alejandra, Diego and Julia.

Anonymous said...

Hey Aidan and Aimee,
Wow, what a week! Aidan we know you're a one tough cookie and are going to fight this all the way. We love you guys and want you to know you are in our prayers and thoughts.

Sure hope you are getting to enjoy your Xbox 360 and watching endless movies, Talyon thinks that would be great. We'd love to see you, we'll have to check on visiting restrictions, but maybe to should list on your blog what games you're working on and what your wish list for new ones would be...hint, hint. Keep your spirits high, we will be checking track of your blog, its great--we love the pictures keep putting more up.

Love ya, the Perrys - Jana, Brad, Talyon, Tayva & Kyana

Anonymous said...

Aidan;
Al and I are keeping you in our daily prayers. You are a vibrant young man, full of life and bring so much joy to your family and friends. We love you.

My favorite recent memory was your incredible dance moves at Liz and Mo's wedding. Everyone was amazed! We'll look forward to seeing even more impressive moves the next wedding! (Who's up next?)
Much love from across the miles here in North Carolina...kisses! Al and Michelle)


For Aimee: I know this is harder on you than anyone.
My Mother was really good at times like these. She would have been a great source of comfort and would have shared with you that though it is difficult and we don't always understand the "why", that suffering is one of the ways that the Lord brings us closer to Him. The Father watched His only son suffer and knows your heart and knows your pain. He is with you always. Go to Him for comfort and Guidance and Peace.
In John 14:27, Jesus reassures us that His Peace can be our own if we but ask Him:
"Peace I leave with you; My Peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

We send our love.
Al and Michelle

Unknown said...

Aiden,
I recently met your South Carolina family! I also live in Myrtle Beach, S. C. Your Nana (Susan) is my friend.

I knew you had to be very special...because your S. C. family talked about you alot. I have a grandson, Jack, who is 10. His big Sister is 12. Her name is Addie.

Addie loves to write. If you'd like, I'll give your address to Addie. She lives in Raleigh, N. C.

It is almost warm enough to swim in Myrtle Beach today. It is very warm. It certainly does not feel like Christmas here.

I have a dog named Morgan. Morgan is a golden retriever. Do you have a dog? Morgan loves to ride on the golf cart with me to the beach. She doesn't chase the squirrels or even the sea gulls.

We take bread to feed the ducks on our lake, too.

Some time when you go to Nana's, maybe she'll bring you to Myrtle Beach. There are alot of fun things to do here. Maybe Jack and Addie could come and go with you. We'll look forward to that.

I'm at work now. Aidan, I sell houses and condominiums on the beach and golf courses here. Your Mom would enjoy shopping here too.

Well, I've gotta go now, bhut I'll write again.

Annell Kirkland

Anonymous said...

Hi Aidan ,
You don't know me but a friend of yours Nancy Chastain, sent me your blog. You now have a friend in Panacea, Florida now who will be thinking of you and sending special prayers so you will feel better soon. You sound like a very brave young man with a beautiful smile. May God continue to hold you close and give you courage.
Love,
Ana Banana

Anonymous said...

please tell me where i can go and be tested for him, email me at twiztedfreaktess@aol.com and ill be there

Anonymous said...

Elder Moreno and Elder Phillips says;

We are praying for you, You are an example to so many people, including us. "[You] can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth..." Philipians 4:13
We look forward to seeing you back in Sacrament Meeting one day.

Love,
The Elders

Anonymous said...

hey aidan:

just want you to know that i am always thinking about you .
I hope you are keeping that great beautiful smile going.
i love you and stay strong and before you know it you will be able to give corey and bryson their wet willy's whatever that is.. Let mom and dad and grandma know I love them and my prayers are with them also, Mom is your strength and and guidance.
Aimee you are a wonderful mother with such strength...know that I am always here if you need someone to talk to or cry a tear on a shoulder.

Love all of you
Grandma Karen

Unknown said...

Aidan,
I wrote to you last week, but I am in my office now and had a reminder to write to you and your family. If Grandmother Susan is still there, give her a kiss from her friend, Annell.

It is still very warm here at the Beach, but it is supposed to get a little colder this weekend.

Stay strong and remember that our God is bigger than all our problems.
Love,
Annell