Aidan's Journey

Aidan's journey began on Monday, Dec 3rd 2007 when we received a phone call that came so unexpectedly. After leaving work, we received a panicked phone call from the Kaiser Peds staff saying that at that moment his blood panels had come back from a check up that morning and Aidan was critically anemic. Do not stop for anything-dinner, clothes, nada. Drive directly to the ER and check right in. The blood tests he had taken earlier that day revealed that every part of his blood test-hemoglobin, white and red cells etc were critically low and further tests needed to be done asap. Hours later he was given two units of blood and platelets. The next morning tests confirmed our worst fears. Aidan's blood was full of cancer as he was diagnosed Tuesday night with Leukemia (Acute Myeloid Leukemia).

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Thank you ENF

I haven't written this message yet because everytime I start I get emotional and have to stop. One of my most favorite things in life right now is the very special job I have. For those of you who don't know, I have the best job in the whole world as an classroom instructional assistant. I only worked about 3 hours a day and I got to see Aidan at his recess everyday if I wanted. You see two years ago I reentered the world of Special Education after a long break. Aidan's elementary and my facility share the same property so it was the best of both worlds. I have been working in the preschool class of Valery Fischer and it is soooo much fun! We laugh and play and even though the challenges are constant(lots of diapers) and ever changing(who gets the Thomas the Tank engine today) and we sing the same songs until we're blue, it's a blast.
The best part about it are the people I work with. Even though teacher Valery puts in a full day and has a large family, she has taken time to come to the hospital and our house several times. My counterpart and Valery's left (and right) hand, Sharon, has taken the same amount of time to accompany Valery and call me often to make sure we are ok. Togther they have supported me from the moment this happened. They have brought us gifts, love and lots of hugs and I will be forever grateful for the support they have given.
The rest of our school is just as special. RH DANA Staff, Instructional aides and IBI staff-Thank you Thank you for the giftcards and money. You are special angels (as I know how big our paychecks are) and your unselfish generosity at this time of the year touched us so. Teachers who contributed to the special air filter, a special thank you...The filter we are getting will help control air pollutants and bacteria since Aidan's immune system is completely compromised and he has asthma. You have reached out to us and we are grateful. Thank you.

I miss all of your smiling faces and hope to see you soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aidan, I'm one of your cousins from Atlanta and want to add my best wishes for your continued great outlook in your inspirational journey. I am exacly 16 years older than your grandpa, Paul,...and I remember the day I was told he was born...you see we have the same birthday.
You have our love and prayers, Aidan........Teresa Maloof Gernazian